Monday, November 30, 2009

Wienerstube

I think these are a polarizing little cookie. I love them: I like how they are coal black. I like how they are spicy and chocolatey. I like how they are crisp but tender. But I think other people think they taste burnt because they look black and because the flavor combination is unusual to American taste buds. That's ok-- I'll eat them all. From Maida Heatter, these are supposedly German.

Wienerstube

1 ½ c AP flour
1 ½ t baking powder
¼ t salt
¾ t cinnamon
¼ t allspice
½ t finely ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne
¾ c black unsweetened cocoa powder
6 oz unsalted butter
1 ½ t vanilla extract
1 c sugar
1 egg

Sift together dries. Cream butter. Add vanilla, sugar; beat. Beat in egg. Gradually add dries. Tear off a strip of wax paper 16 inches long. Place dough down the length, forming a heavy strip about 10 in long. Fold the long sides up around the dough. Pressing against the paper with your hands, shape the dough into an oblong about 12 inches long and 2 ¾ inches thick. Wrap the dough in the paper. Put in freezer or refrigerator several hours, until firm. Oven to 375. Line cookie sheets with parchment. Unwrap the dough. Cut with sharp knife to ¼ inch slices. Bake 10-12 minutes.


1 comment:

Ford said...

mmmmmmmmm Wienerstube mmmmmmmmmmmmm