Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Orange salad with olives and feta

This is an LA Times recipe from Matt Pims. I think it was more tuned to my "buttons" than my Candlemas guests', but I really liked it. Like the polenta in the style of lasagna, it could be made ahead.

1 1/2 lb mixed orange citrus, including a blood orange. I used a smallish navel orange, a blood orange, and a sumo tangerine.

1 1/2 T rice vinegar

1 T extra virgin olive oil

1/8 t crushed red chile flakes (I used a pinch of sweet paprika)

salt, pepper (I didn't use pepper due to guest's intolerance)

1 inner stalk celery, thinnly sliced

1 oz feta, preferably in brine

4 or so Castelvetrano olives, pitted and torn into 3-4 pieces


1. Take one of the smaller citruses and finely grate the zest from half of it into a small bowl. Stir in vinegar, oil, and chile flakes, then season.

2. Working on a cutting board, remove pith and peel from all the citrus. Slice across to make thin rounds, about 1/4 inch thick, removing any seeds as you go (none of my citrus had seeds). Transfer all the sliced citrus and juices to a serving platter big enough to fit them in a single-ish layer and preferably one with a lip to contain their juices. Spin the vinaigrette over the slices.

3. Arrange the celery evenly over the citrus. Drizzle a couple teaspoons feta brine over the salad. Roughly crumble the feta and arrange it over the salad, followed by the olives. Cover the whole salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, 1 hour to 2 days. Serve chilled.




No comments: