Sunday, February 14, 2021

Alexa Weibel's Lemony Macaroni Salad

 I wanted to make a macaroni salad for February picnic, but also wanted something a little different. I liked this lemony version, which I adapted from Alexa Weibel's recipe in the NYTimes (original recipe here). Hers is sweeter: where I use salty pickles, she uses bread and butter pickles (and capers). She also adds a teaspoon of sugar. I added tuna.

The comments said that the flavors melded after a thorough chill, so I made it the night before. Sure enough: when I made it, I didn't love it. It was all sharp edges. But I thought it was delicious in the morning, and refreshing it with some extra mayo tamed it further. You do want it to be bright and lemony, though.

Salt, (pepper)

scant cup finely chopped pickles: I used dill and giardiniera; plus some brine to taste

2 stalks celery, peeled and finely chopped

4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced

1/2 c mayonnaise

1/2 c sour cream

3/4 c finely chopped herbs: parsley and dill

4 t dijon mustard

zest from one lemon

4 t lemon juice (I may have used more; I squeezed the juice from half of a fat, juicy lemon)

1 can drained albacore tuna

(1 t sugar)

16 oz elbow macaroni

Cook the macaroni; make a dressing of everything else; toss together when the macaroni is cooled; season to taste with salt, pepper, brine, lemon juice, etc; chill thoroughly. 


No comments: