Thursday, June 3, 2021

Reb Roy Ramen

This is from the NYTimes recipe for "Perfect instant ramen."
My Korean friends did this when I was a kid-- but I have an American cheese prejudice, so I didn't think I'd like it. But American cheese isn't really exactly cheese, and that's important to this recipe. This isn't cheese-flavored ramen. Instead, the pasteurized process cheese product readily emulsifies with the broth to give it body and fat, almost to the point of seeming like a credible ramen broth. It's quite a neat trick.

I made it to the letter of Jeff Gordiner's transcription of the recipe. I liked it, but it was too brothy for me (I'm odd; I like a less brothy ramen); I wanted it saltier; and I could still taste just a bit more of the American cheese flavor than I would have liked. So I tried it again. I trimmed the 2 1/4 c water to 1 1/2 and cut the Kraft singles from 2 to 1. This solved all three problems-- less broth; less cheese per unit broth; and more flavoring packet per unit broth. I also don't find the described method of poaching the egg to work-- I have to keep it over heat and watch the egg set. Then I scoop the egg out and hover it over as I pour the noodles and broth over the cheese, butter, sesame seed, and scallion. Stirring everything to emulsify the cheese destroys the poached egg, and I like it whole.

boil 1 1/2 c water.
Add a packet of ramen noodles.
Cook 2 min. Meanwhile, put in your serving bowl:
            1 kraft single, torn up
            1 t butter
            1/2 t sesame seeds
            1 scallion, white and green parts, slivered
Add seasoning packet (roast chicken is good), stir, cook 30 sec.
Carefully plop in an egg. Don't stir, but you can fold the noodles up over it. Poach at least 1 minute, or until set.
Spoon out the egg. (Some noodles might come with it)
Pour the broth and noodles into your serving bowl and stir until the cheese is emulsified. Plop back in the egg and serve.

1 comment:

Rebekka said...

As Roy promised, this is a great quick fix. I don't usually have Kraft singles around, but I sometimes buy a pack just for ramen. I don't include the egg at all these days. It's just a bit of faff that I don't personally need.