Saturday, November 29, 2014

Up for Iteration: Reb Eat World Pecan Pie

I made pecan pie for the Thanksgiving meal this year. I came up with my own recipe scheme, based off of four recipes: my mother's; a well-reviewed corn syrup-based recipe; a well-reviewed cane sugar-based recipe; and a well-reviewed maple syrup recipe. It turned out well, and the tweaks I would make are small: I'd simplify the flavor profile by leaving out orange oil (or making sure to just put a drop), and I'd toast the nuts adequately so that they stay crisp. 

6 T butter
1 c dark brown sugar
1/2 c golden cane syrup
1/2 c maple syrup
2 t vanilla
(1/2 t orange zest)
(1/2 t lemon juice)
1/2 t salt
3 eggs
3 c pecans, toasted until fragrant and crisp; broken with hands into pieces
1 1/2 t AP flour
3/4 t cinnamon.

Roll out, form, and chill your crust. Heat oven to 350.

Melt butter in sauce pan over low-medium heat, let it brown and become fragrant. Add brown sugar, salt, cane syrup, maple syrup, vanilla, (orange zest), (lemon juice); stir till smooth, 5 minutes. 

Lightly beat eggs; whisk into syrup with flour.

Put pecans in crust. Dust the cinnamon over the top. Pour the syrup mixture over them. 

Bake 50 min-1 hr till set and slightly puffed. Bake over a tray in case of bubbles.

2 comments:

Rebekka said...

I made this pie this year with half-and-half corn syrup and maple syrup, but including a big glorp of rye malt syrup. (I included dried orange peel and lemon juice as well.) It hit the spot even more than usual. I liked the darkness the malt syrup brought to the flavor profile.

Ford said...

I made it this way again this year, and it is really delicious. About 5-6 T light corn syrup, 2-3 T rye malt syrup, 1/2 c maple syrup. I left out the lemon juice though. I had actually bought cane syrup and forgot to use it, blah. Anyway, we're definitely on to something with the malt syrup.