Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Orange Pie

From an ancient newspaper clipping, this recipe is credited to Lenore A. Stein. And by ancient I only mean a few decades old.

3/4 c sugar
4 T cornstarch
1/4 c butter
1 T orange rind (I interpret this as zest)
1/4 c orange juice
1 c milk
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 c sour cream
thin orange slices (1 orange)

Combine sugar and cornstarch. Add butter, rind, juice, milk, and yolks. Cook, stirring, until thick. Cool slightly. Fold in sour cream. Put into baked crust. Decorate with orange slices. Chill 4-6 hours.

The recipe notes it can also be made with lemon juice and zest. I am considering making it with orange slices and zest, but with cranberry juice, for Thanksgiving. (I'm still hunting for my perfect nod to cranberries for Thanksgiving.)


2 comments:

Rebekka said...

To make my orange-cranberry pie, I used orange juice concentrate and 1/4 c of cranberry sauce. I think everything else is the same.

Rebekka said...

Oh, and salt. You need salt to counteract the sweetness. A dash of lemon juice might help too. (I didn't have any, but I did add a dash-- not much!-- of pomegranate juice). The corn starch wasn't increased because even though I ADDED cranberry sauce instead of substituting, the fact that it was jellied means the pie set up fine with no additional starch.

I made the jellied sauce myself based on the NYTimes recipe found under the entry "Cranberry Curd Tart." It was made with orange juice, so that helped to up the OJ factor.