Sunday, July 31, 2016

Spicy Miso-glazed potatoes

This yummy recipe comes from Marc Matsumoto on the PBS "Fresh Tastes" blog, dated Oct. 22 2013. I like miso and I liked this, which I approximately doubled for E's birthday dinner.


520 g small new potatoes
2 T miso (I used red)
1 T sake (I used rice vinegar)
1 T water
2 t brown sugar
1/2 t doubanjiang or your favorite Asian chile paste or sauce
1 clove garlic, grated (I chopped)
2 T butter
1 scallion, finely sliced

1. Clean potatoes. Cover with 2 inches of water in a pot, add 2 T salt, boil. Turn down heat to a gentle simmer and cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a toothpick.

2. In a small bowl, whisk the miso, sake, water, brown sugar, chile sauce, and garlic.

3. When the potatoes are tender, drain them and let them air dry in the strainer until the skins become papery (I accelerated this in a warming oven).

4. Heat a frying pan over medium high heat until hot. Add butter and melt.

5. Add the potatoes and fry, allowing them to brown on one side, before gently flipping them over and browning the other side.

6. Add the sauce and continue frying, rolling the potatoes around to coat them with the sauce. It's done when there is no liquid left and the sauce has caramelized on the outside of the potatoes.

7. Garnish with scallions.

No comments: