Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cheddar Chorizo Grits

Sticky Lips BBQ here in Rochester has won me over with their barbecue sauce and their cheddar chorizo grits, served as a side with pretty much anything you order. I decided they would probably be pretty easy to replicate. I found some recipes online that seemed similar, and modified one from a hospitality-industry site. I think I pretty much hit the nail on the head. I brought these to a potluck dinner, and some people hate on grits, so not many got eaten. I didn't mind because I knew that not many people would try them, and that grits are an acquired taste, and that I am in a land of yanks who would likely be wary both before and after the first-taste process.

So I had a lot of leftovers, which was ok, because I really liked the grits I made. Pooh-pooh to the haters. And despite my very grits-literate, Carolina-sired roommate's advice to NEVER LET THEM GET COLD (Hi CS!), I like them even better re-warmed to the point of crunchy edges. Although it would be better for one's health to share them with other grits-lovers.

Cheddar Chorizo Grits
2 1/2 c milk
1/2 c regular white grits
2 T butter
2 T cream
1 c diced chorizo
1 c grated cheddar cheese
Tabasco and mustard to taste
salt, pepper

Bring milk and chorizo to boil. Add butter. While stirring, slowly add grits, breaking up any lumps. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until grits are tender and slightly thick, 15 to 20 minutes. Add cream and cheese, stirring till cheese is completely melted. Season with salt, pepper, and Tabasco.  I added some prepared mustard because I know from making Welsh Rarebit that mustard makes cheese taste cheesier than cheese. I think the trick worked.



1 comment:

zero.executioner said...

Really great. I'm a Rochester native and this is the first recipe for this that is close, and is way simpler.