Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Maple-Ginger Salmon

Another Mother's Day dish. This was actually meant to be cedar-planked, but that turned out to be a no-go (for various reasons). Also, we had to use frozen salmon fillets! I could not find any fresh salmon! I suppose I went to the store(s) too late. There was a lot that was compromised about preparation of this recipe. The fillets did not thoroughly thaw before we wanted to bake them, and to compensate, we baked them longer. I think this was a bad idea, because in my opinion, they were overdone and dry.

But we did in fact like the condiment! I would like to try it again and cook the fish better. If I do ever really cedar-plank a salmon, I might delete this post and put up a report of that. I think I would use this recipe, because I did like this yummy maple-ginger-scallion glaze. It tested Asian-fusion and modern. I'd like to spread it in some maki rolls.

The recipe comes from Epicurious; but I didn't make everything in the recipe and I obviously didn't plank it, so there you have it. I give you what I made.

Maple-Ginger Salmon

1 c maple syrup
2 T finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
4 T lemon juice
3 T soy sauce
1 1/2 t minced garlic
2 1/2 lbs salmon fillet
greens from 1 bunch scallions

In a small heavy saucepan, simmer condiment ingredients. Simmer until reduced to about 1 c (about 30 minutes). Salt and pepper, if desired, to taste.

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil a baking pan. Arrange scallion greens in a layer in the pan. Put salmon, skin-side down, on scallions. Brush on about half the glaze. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the middle oven until just cooked through, about 20 minutes. Serve with additional warm sauce.

No comments: