Friday, September 19, 2008

Creamy Tomato Soup

I do not like tomato soup. I love grilled cheese, but even grilled cheese cannot redeem tomato soup. And yet tomato soup was the second soup I decided to hazard in my vegetable soup-making quest. For one thing, the picture of "Italian Tomato Soup" in Ms. Forster's Soups book didn't look like Campbell's. It looked redder, and chunkier. And spicy! So I made the soup-- and it didn't look red, or chunky, or spicy. It looked like Campbell's. But it actually tasted heavenly! Especially when I added bottled artichokes the next day.

Creamy Tomato Soup

1 T olive oil
2 T butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
6 tomatoes (2 lbs?), coarsely chopped
3 c chicken stock
1/2 c nonalcoholic white cooking wine
2 T tomato paste
1 T shreeded fresh basil
1 c heavy cream
salt
pepper

Heat oil and butter in pan until foaming. Add onion and saute 5 minutes, until softened but not brown. Stir in tomatoes and garlic, then add the stock, cooking wine, and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat, half-cover pan, and simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring now and then so that the tomatoes won't stick. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup somewhat. Add the heavy cream and heat through, stirring. Do not allow the soup to near a boil ever again. Adjust the seasoning and the consistency with stock, if desired.

2 comments:

Ford said...

I have learned to like tomato soup, by leaving out the milk or cream that Mom always stirred in. Hahaha. I find this very ironic, for some reason. Anyhow, check out 101cookbooks; Heidi has just posted a roasted-tomato soup that I think you would find appealing (except that her soups always look greasy to me, because she likes to finish them with a slick of some special oil or other, and while I certainly enjoy delicious fats to eat, I am off-put by their appearance in the photographs).

Unknown said...

I made the tomato soup for dinner tonight. We all liked it very much. Iggy said that it was the first tomato soup he's ever had that was worth eating. I made some adaptations. I omitted the cooking wine and the tomato paste because I didn't have them. I used dry basil instead of fresh, and I used half and half instead of heavy cream. Does that make it a different soup? Anyway, we loved it.